Moving can be expensive - there's no doubt about that. But luckily, there are ways to save money while moving, and we're here to help. Here are our top ten tips to avoid breaking the bank.
1. Plan ahead and create a moving budget. This will help you stay on track and avoid any unexpected expenses.
2. Hire a reputable moving company. This may cost a bit more than doing it yourself, but it will save you time and energy.
3. Sell or donate unwanted belongings. This will help reduce the amount of stuff you have to move and will also raise some extra cash.
4. Pack wisely and use the supplies you already have. This will help keep costs down.
5. Stay organized and plan each step of the move carefully. This will help avoid any last-minute surprises or complications.
6. Move during the off-season
Just like most prices of goods and services during an off-season, moving companies drop prices from around October to April. Most movers prefer the early summer to fall period to move, so taking advantage of the company lull period may save some funds!
7. See if you are eligible for a tax deduction
You’ll need to know:
- Types and amounts of moving expenses.
- Amount of moving expense reimbursements as shown on Form W-2.
8. Don’t overbuy for your new home
Don’t forget that you’re old furniture can look entirely new in a different location! Before that new appliance shopping spree, give your old appliances a chance in your new home. That will give you the opportunity to find out what will really be worth the purchase.
9. Compare lots of quotes
Comparing moving quotes not only gives you the opportunity to find a more cost-effective company to move with but also creates the freedom to put your belongings into the hands of movers you trust.
10. Don’t pick the lowest bidding movers
Contrary to popular belief, going with the least expensive moving company may not be the best route. Along with slightly elevated prices come vastly more reliable movers. Going straight for a lower bidding mover may actually result in lower quality work. Ensuring that your belongings arrive at your new home safely and in the same condition you left them in is essential and spending a percentage more may ensure that happens. That way, you don’t end up spending more money in the long run by replacing them. With these tips in mind, you're sure to save money while moving - and have a smooth transition into your new home. Click here to get your free moving quote from Imlach Group today!